Monday, January 5, 2015

German Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup

My Aunt Marilyn introduced me to this yummy breakfast this past summer while we were living at my parent's house. She gave me her recipe and then I researched a bit and found a second recipe. I meshed the two together and came up with this incredibly easy crazy yummy breakfast! I would say that it tastes a bit more like a custard than a pancake. The buttermilk syrup makes it even more sweet! Also, the syrup makes a lot. Just store it in your fridge and it will probably cover about 6 German pancakes!



German Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup

6 eggs
1 cup of milk
1 cup flour
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp Sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Buttermilk syrup:
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ cup buttermilk (3/4 cup milk + 1 Tbsp vinegar)
½ cup butter
2 Tbsp corn syrup (I have left this out and it turned out fine)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
Powdered sugar

Combine the eggs, milk, flour, salt, sugar and vanilla in a blender and blend until combined. Pour melted butter into 9x13 glass baking pan. Pour pancake batter into prepared pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. While the pancake is baking make your syrup. Combine sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup and baking soda in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes (should become a caramel color). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Dust pancake with powdered sugar. Serve immediately with the syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment